Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Organizing Jewelry

I found this really cool idea from a magazine on how to organize and display your jewelry. It was simple really, a frame without the glass, and a piece of foam core covered with fabric acting as a backing or cork board to then pin up your jewelry. I had this amazing shadowbox frame that I have had for years, and I always wanted to use it for something, but never found quite the right project-until now.

I used leftover fabric from my pillow covers so it would all match my room. I also had the perfect space for these frames, right behind my closet door-sort of in a corner, but not out of view. I made this jewelry frame first and put my favorite pieces on, by using sewing pins. But I realized I had much more jewelry than would fit into one frame. So I dug around in my art stuff, and found another frame that would match the room and made another bigger jewelry frame.

When I travel, I love to find unique jewelry. I found these amazing flower earrings (below) in Greece. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I didn't buy the matching bracelet (above), but when I wasn't watching my mother-in-law went back into the shop to buy me the bracelet for Christmas. I was overwhelmed and surprised when I opened it at Christmas to find the matching bracelet to the earrings I bought months before.


The beautiful blue necklace (below) I bought in Venice, Italy. The glass jewelry is from Murano, Italy where they make it, and it is everywhere in Venice. I had to own my very own piece.

The red necklace (above) is one of my most favorite pieces that I bought in Paris. I absolutely love it and wear it whenever I can. Having a place to display my jewelry gives me a chance to look at these pieces I treasure, and takes me back to the places where I bought them.
This is the second frame I made, when I still had more jewelry I wanted to display. Some of the necklace/bracelet/earring sets my sister made for me. She makes jewelry as a hobby, and is very talented. The brown necklace and earrings (upper right corner of frame) I bought when I went to Alaska.

The blue and white diamond necklace I wore on my wedding day, and the beautiful black shell necklace I bought in Florida. It's not just a way to display your jewelry, but to organize them as well. After I finished putting together these frames (which was so fun by the way) I organized my other jewelry boxes (yes I had more jewelry) which finally there was more room for everything to fit nicely.


(Jewelry frame idea from Real Simple magazine)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful way to display an amazing collection. i am jealous of both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the best pieces of decorate/useful art I've ever seen! I SO want my own. :-) I can't wait to see these in person. We need to come for a visit soon.
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete