Friday, June 11, 2010

Mermaid Art Doll

Sirena the Mermaid, named after my good friend Sirena. (Sirena actually means mermaid in Spanish)

I am in love with this doll. First of all, I'm in the middle of making three other dolls, but they have legs, and will be wearing clothes. But this doll is my first attempt at making a mermaid. I loved that I actually painted on her scales, instead of using fabric. She is made from muslin fabric, that is sewn and stuffed with poly fill, then painted with acrylics. (For details about my painted art dolls- see my March 10th, and 21st posts.)



In making my art dolls this time around, I decided to make the arms out of polymer clay. The fabric ones just didn't seem right, and by using the clay I could sculpt them exactly how I wanted. I also used some paint art pens for the little details on her seashell bra. A coat of UV satin varnish seals her up and protects her from damage.



I made her scales with varying shades of blues, greens, greys, and teals. I wanted her mermaid body to have a variegated effect, so I layered each of her scales with a different color, shading the colors differently down to her fins. Using a round tip brush- it was easy to get the scallop effect, making small downward brush strokes worked perfectly.


She will be going on my Etsy site soon, incase anyone is interested.
(click on pictures to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment