Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wedding Cake

Over the weekend I made a wedding cake for a friend of mine. Her colors were ivory, blush pink, and charcoal grey. The cake was white cake with a chocolate ganache' filling and then covered with fondant. I actually had to dye the fondant an ivory color so it wouldn't be a true white. To get ivory I used pink and yellow food coloring-in very small amounts. The pale pink was a light rose color dye and the charcoal grey was the trickiest to make. I started out with a brown color, then added teal, then black and added more white fondant or frosting to get the exact color (if you just add black, it looks too purple- unless you add a ton of it to get black.) It was definitely tricky to get the colors right, so playing around with the colors a day or two before is a good idea- instead of stressing out while your making the cake.

I found these darling pink pearls to add to the flowers, instead of using white which wouldn't necessarily match the ivory color. When making a cake, I usually let it lead me as to what it needs. I start off with a basic idea and sketch it out into my cake sketch book, but always have an open mind knowing things and ideas can change as you go. For example I added a lot more filigree to this cake when originally I didn't plan on it.


Lastly, when I delivered the cake they had these gorgeous flowers for me to use as a cake topper and where ever else I wanted. When looking at the cake, I felt it didn't need any extra flowers on it, so I just decided to make a full cake topper. I think it turned out beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment