Monday, March 1, 2010

Fondant Cakes


Not only do I love crocheting, making bags, clocks, and cards, I also love making cakes. Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to bake. I have ever since I was a little girl, baking cookies, cakes, and pies. I recently decided to try my hand at stacked cakes covered in fondant. It was a bit tricky at first, but I bought a cake decorating book called Confetti Cakes, by Elisa Strauss. This book was my guide in teaching myself how to make beautiful cakes. There are lots of tips, techniques, and recipes to help you get started in making your own creations. I also recently got her other book 'Confetti Cakes for Kids', which is really great too.

I started out making my families birthday cakes, and then got the confidence to try a more complicated wedding cake when my sister asked me to do her cake. This is my latest wedding cake that I made for a friend.

Each rose you see, is hand formed out of fondant. I used a leaf cutter for the leaves, and pearls for a touch of sophistication.

The black flowers were cut using a flower cutter then placed in an empty egg carton to retain the shape while drying.

The top of the cake was my favorite to create. I used leaves, black and emerald green ribbon as well as pearls as filler around the flowers. I used florist wire and tape I bought in the flower arranging section at the craft store to make the ribbon loops. But the handmade roses where what was the most time consuming part of decorating the cake, but very fun to make! My cakes are truly one of a kind. For more pictures of my cakes, take a look at my cake photos.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    Come check out my blog:
    hungergamesseriestheories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete