Friday, March 5, 2010

Brads: not just for scrapbooking

Recently I made a custom order for a felted bag. She wanted tones of greys and black, a fleur di lis, and studs. What is felting you ask? Well, felting is when you crochet or knit something out of wool yarn, wash it in hot water so it shrinks down. The combination of hot water, agitation, and a little bit of soap cause the wool to shrink, and the fibers to fuse and bond together making a durable yet pliable medium. (You can also felt old wool sweaters and then make stuff out of them, but I prefer to crochet my own wool to felt.)

I line the bags with fabric I sewed on my sewing machine, and stitch on my own hand made label. I also use a magnetic purse clasp for secure closure, and for this order she also wanted a pocket.


For the studs, I found some brads in the scrapbooking section. They were perfect! A bit tricky to place exactly how I wanted, but in the end I got the right look. I also think I found the perfect fabric for this bag. I just love it. I might have to make one for myself.








2 comments: