Monday, April 26, 2010

Clothes I've Made


Lately I have been obsessed with sewing clothes. A few weeks ago, I found a cute wrap skirt on line and thought that it wouldn't be that hard to make. So I got the basic pattern idea by searching for "wrap skirt" on line, but then made my own pattern at home. I had some old wrapping paper that I used for my pattern paper and drew it out on the paper. I cut it out as my pattern, then pinned it to my fabric. After I cut out and sewed my fabric together added some bias tape for the top waistband and tie strings I was basically done. It was as simple as that! I have never been able to follow patterns very well. I always just make up my own, it seems easier to me that way.

Then came for the fun part- the applique'! As you know I have been obsessed with applique' as well. So I thought why not continue that in my skirt. I appliqued these cute flowers out of simple black and white stripe fabric. Stitched them on by my sewing machine and added some cute trim. I absolutely love this skirt! I even have a black and white striped top to match.


The next skirt I made was another wrap skirt, but this time out of linen. I had some extra green fabric from my other skirt that I used for the tie and for some of the applique' pieces as well. I absolutely love linen. It lays really nice and is a bit thicker than cotton, (although it does tend to wrinkle easily).


This time I decided to add some hand stitching using embroidery thread. I already had the flower and bird patterns made from using the same designs on my apron and oven mitts. So it was essentially the same designs. I used more of a "vine" detail to connect the pieces together.




From there I decided to try my hand at making a shirt. I bought some black linen fabric, made my own pattern again (I sort of followed a basic pattern from a shirt I already had, just to see how it was made). Then added the embroidery around the neck. I love the way this one turned out! I'm big into the baby doll look, so I had to have some pleated sleeves on this. It ties at the neck, and also at the back, to cinch in the waist a bit.




Detail at right side of neck.

Detail at left side of neck.

With the left over linen fabric I decided to make another skirt. Not a wrap skirt, but a simple A-line draw string skirt. I had the embroidery go all the way around, and did slightly different flowers than from the shirt.



Keep checking back for more of my sewing projects! (click on the images to see a larger version)

No comments:

Post a Comment